Speak with
a visa specialist:

0207 659 9180

USA L-1 Visa: Your Questions Answered!

Have you any questions? Listed below are answers to questions you have asked us.
If you have a question you need answering that is not listed below skip to the bottom of the page and submit the question and we'll answer it and add it to the site.
If you've got any questions that aren't answered here, or you'd like to talk to someone now about your visa - please use our Live Chat service.

Once you contact us on the phone or on the web to request information for one of our services we will provide you with a free eligibility assessment which will determine the most appropriate visa for you. The assessment will include preliminary information on the visa conditions and how you meet the eligibility requirements. Once you agree to use our service we will process your visa application through to completion. Our service covers the checking of your documents and personal details for correctness before we lodge your application with the relevant Government/Embassy. In the event that we spot any missing information/documents from your application we will follow up by giving you a phone call or sending you an email to request the necessary details.

Thousands of customers choose Visa First to organise their working holiday visas every year because:

  • We make getting the visa you need fast and hassle-free.
  • We provide a free initial assessment on the process.
  • We developed the unique online visa status engine which allows you to check the status of your visa 24/7. Check your status now.
  • We're visa experts and have organised over 130,000 visas for people like you.
  • We have a price and service promise to you to ensure a low cost effective service.
  • We offer a step-by-step consultation as we do the visa.
  • We provide an end-to-end service from assessment, through gathering and processing the documents till visa grant.
  • We have local offices supporting the visa process.



The US L-1 Visa is for employees of an international company with operations in the US and abroad who need to be temporarily transferred to the company’s US operations.

To be eligible for a United States L1 Visa, the employee must be employed by the company at a managerial or executive level, or they must have specialised knowledge of the company and its operations.

The employee must have been employed by the company outside the US for a period of at least one continuous year in the last three years.

The employee must be required to work in the US in a position at management/executive level, or for a role requiring specialised knowledge, to manage an organisation or major function/division of the company in the US.

To be able to sponsor an employee under the L Visa category the company must be either a US or foreign organisation with operations in the US.

Yes. If you wish to bring your spouse and/or dependent children under the age of 21 to the United States for the duration of your US Visa, you will need to apply for L-2 Visas for them.

If you are granted an L1 US Intra-Company Transfer Visa as an executive or manager you will be able to live and work in the US for up to 7 years. If you are granted the visa as specialised knowledge personnel, you will be entitled to stay in the US for up to 5 years.

Yes, you may apply for L1 visa extension visa. Extensions of two years at a time may be allowed until you have been in the U.S. for a total of seven years if you are a manager or executive.

L-2 visa is issued to the dependents of US L-1 visa holders. Dependents include the spouse and children below 21 years of age.

L-2 spouse of an L-1 visa holder can obtain a general Employment Authorization. This employment authorization must be applied for separately, though.

At Visa First we do everything we can to make sure you receive the best possible service. If you feel that we have not achieved this goal we have set up a complaints handling process:

Complaints Process:
  1. Where an official complaint is received by Visa First, the company will record the nature of the complaint and issue an acknowledgement email to the client within 5 business days of receiving the complaint. The acknowledgement will provide the client with the contact name who is responsible for dealing with the complaint. The official complaint must be made by email (you may also write, although this will slow down the process), and confirm that the client wishes to enter this process. Please email your complaint to complaints@visafirst.com
  2. Visa First will investigate the complaint as swiftly as possible and where applicable, the complainant will receive a regular written update on the progress of the investigation at intervals of not more than 20 business days.
  3. Visa First will try to resolve the complaint within 40 business days of having received the complaint. If the complaint cannot be resolved within 40 business days, the Firm will write to the complainant notifying them of the anticipated timeframe for the conclusion of the investigation.
  4. Within 5 business days of the conclusion of the investigation of the complaint, Visa First will issue a resolution letter detailing the outcome of the investigation. This letter will include, if applicable, an explanation of the terms of any offer that the company is prepared to make in settlement of the complaint.

Yes, you can apply for a green card -  EB-1 and stay in the US permanently.

Yes, you may change jobs, as long as your new employer files a petition for a new visa such as H1B visa.

No, you will only be allowed to work for the employer that sponsored you under your L-1 visa.

Yes, you may apply based on having sufficient relevant work experience that is relevant to a US bachelor’s degree.

3 years of relevant experience is relevant to 1 year of education. In the US to complete a bachelors degree it takes 4 years, which means that you will need to have 12 years of experience in total.

  • Visafirst.com is a global visa processor.
  • We arrange over 80,000 work and travel visas for individuals and corporates to over 100 countries annually.
  • We use registered migration agents and licensed attorneys in the provision of our immigration services.

  • Visafirst.com ensures that your L1 application is completed correctly.
  • We review and assess of your documents for your L1 visa application; we prepare your application for lodgement, we submit your L1 visa application and follow up with immigration.
  • We provide you with an end to end visa application service, overseen by our licensed attorneys. We are not affiliated with any Government and so we offer you a superior service that you will not be offered should you decide to apply directly at a lower cost via the immigration website.

I accept