Australian citizenship – Apply Now
Types of Citizenship
You can get Australian citizenship through three different streams:
- citizenship by birth
- citizenship by decent
- citizenship through residency
Citizenship by birth - you will be eligible to apply if you were born in Australia and at least one of your parents was an Australian citizen or a permanent resident at the time of your birth.
Citizenship by decent - you can apply if you were born outside of Australia and at least one of your parents was an Australian citizen at the time of your birth.
Citizenship through residency – You can apply for your Australian passport if you have been living in Australia on a valid visa for at least 4 years immediately before applying. You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 3 months in any one year nor for a total of 12 months within the 4 years prior to lodging your citizenship application. You must hold a permanent residency visa for at least 12 months immediately before applying for citizenship.
There are 3 stages in obtaining Australian citizenship and obtaining your Australian citizenship certificate.
- Submit your citizenship application
- Attend a citizenship appointment where your identity and documentation will be verified. You will also sit the Australian citizenship test or an Australian citizenship interview whichever is applicable. This involves answering questions on Australia and its people, language, laws and beliefs. You should obtain a pass mark of 75%.
The topics covered are
- Australia and its people
- Australia democratic rights, beliefs and liberties
- Government and the law in Australia
It is recommended to prepare by reading Australian citizenship, our common bond.
- Attend the Australian Citizenship ceremony and make the Australian Citizenship Pledge – a commitment of loyalty to Australia. You will be presented with your Australian certificate of citizenship.